A Technical Architect is responsible for architecting robust and beautiful solutions for our clients leveraging the BigCommerce platform, and for leading a team of developers to a successful deployment of the solution. Redstage specializes in complex digital commerce ecosystems, and this role requires a deep understanding of the BigCommerce platform and solution, fundamental ecommerce concepts (catalog, cart, payments, shipping, tax, integrations, etc…), the software development lifecycle, and quality control tools and practices. As a Technical Architect, you are responsible for the quality and effectiveness of the solutions you design and that the developers build, for inspiring, coaching, and leading a team of developers on your projects, and sharing your knowledge, experience, and passion for ecommerce solutions, software development, and customer success. This is a customer-facing position where your ability to transform customer business goals into technical solutions that we can build on-time and on-budget will need to be communicated with transparency and sufficient detail to all stakeholders, technical and non-technical.
It’s quite complex, so a great fundamental understanding of computer science is required. A strong desire to leverage your experience and grow with us is a must.
- 10+ years experience with ecommerce web development projects, working in a client services environment, and building sites from start to finish.
- Proven experience in collaborating with other developers, technical architects, project managers, UX designers, business analysts, and QA analysts. Experience interfacing directly with clients is a must. Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-orientation skills.
- Experience working on ecommerce sites for clients with yearly revenues above $5M.
- Solid problem-solving and analytical skills in complex environments.
- Proven experience in managing complex integrations with customers and third parties in all phases of the Software Development Lifecycle.
- 5+ years experience developing client solutions on BigCommerce.
- A solid understanding of complex, high-performance, and robust BigCommerce environments.
- 5+ years operating in an Agile/Scrum project environment.
- 3+ years experience breaking User Stories down into a set of technical tasks with estimates, and success criteria.
- Experience with leading BigCommerce apps like ShipperHQ, Avalara, Shogun, etc. is a huge plus.
- Proven expertise in estimating the effort and risk of complex technical solutions, providing estimates in either hours of effort to develop and test and/or in Points.
- BigCommerce Certified Developer strongly preferred.
- Experience with Magento, Salesforce Commerce Cloud, Demandware, and Shopify a huge plus.
- Lead technical discovery activities with customers
- Architect technical solution of BigCommerce deployment, including integrations, environment, data migration, configuration change management, scalability, security, and performance.
- Collaborate with customers, Busines Analysts, and Designers to capture and define User Stories and the breakdown of those User Stories into technical tasks following the INVEST principals.
- Drive thorough and comprehensive estimation processes at multiple levels (t-shirt sizing, epics, user stories, technical tasks), both in terms of hours of effort, project risk, Story Points, and effort to test. Continuously improving estimation processes across Sprints within a project, and across projects.
- Be a leading voice in technical portion of Agile/Scrum ceremonies, including Sprint Planning, Daily Standups, Demo, Retrospectives, and Backlog Refinement.
- Prioritize and commit the stories/tickets that go into a Sprint.
- Code review of PR’s and merges from developers within the Sprint.
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to developers throughout a project.
- Create thorough documentation of the technical solution for all stakeholders (customer, developers, DevOps team, post-go-live Support team).
- The qualities of the overall technical delivery of a solution, both within a Sprint and for the entirety of the project.
- “Getting the project over the line.” When necessary, jump into the code and get the Sprint completed on time, and get the project delivered on time.
- Identify and communicate technical dependencies and risks. In collaboration with colleagues on the project, work diligently to reduce technical risks.
- Assist in deployments to pre-production and production environments.
- Keep Agile and project management systems updated with progress and status on daily basis (Jira).
- Participate in pre-sales and pre-project activities, including high-level estimation, speculative solution definition, and authoring technical and solution aspects of project charters or SOW’s.
- Learn and adhere to company coding and quality standards and conventions. Follow project-level design decisions and conventions. Drive adherence to these policies and practices with the project team.
- This is a “production” role, and you are responsible for tracking your time on customer projects and meeting your production targets on a weekly basis.
- Communicate clearly, effectively, and openly with all project stakeholders. This is a customer-facing role.